Real Facts about Real Christmas Trees

by | Dec 13, 2017

Crop Insurance affects many industries people don’t often consider. One of those is the holiday industry, most specifically, the Christmas tree farm! Local Christmas tree farms have much to consider when buying insurance, and as artificial trees become more and more prevalent, it’s becoming crucial that tree farmers protect their bottom line with crop coverage. In honor of the men and women who keep our homes merry and bright all season long, we’re counting down ten facts about Christmas trees which are often overlooked.

10: The Rockefeller Tree comes from Norway?

Well, that’s not entirely true. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree in New York City is traditionally one of the largest in the country. The tallest one came from Connecticut in 1999 and it measured up to a staggering 100 feet. Most of the Rockefeller trees are, however, a type of fir called a “Norway Spruce.” They are prized for their significant size and their beautiful, traditional coloring.

christmas trees

9: Trees are a Booming Holiday Industry

Christmas tree farms only get the recognition they deserve but once a year. However, the work that goes into planting and caring for trees is intensive. At any time, over 350 million of them are growing around America on tree farms according to the National Christmas Tree Association. Additionally, over 100,000 people are employed on Christmas tree farms across the country.

8: An American Affair

Christmas tree lighting is one of the time-honored traditions of America’s First Family. The Presidential tree-lighting ceremony started in 1923 with President Coolidge.

7: Eco-Friendly is the Industry Norm

Cutting down a Christmas tree can seem like a waste of natural resources to the eco-friendly crowd. Fortunately, Christmas tree farmers make replanting a priority. On average, three trees are planted for every one Christmas tree that’s cut down in any given season. Additionally, 93% of those who buy live trees recycle them in some way after the season ends. For these reasons, they are actually a more eco-friendly choice than non-biodegradable artificial trees.

6: Tree lots, a Time-honored Tradition

Christmas tree lots are the place where most families get their home’s holiday centerpiece each year. The first tree lot in America was actually run by a man named Mark Carr. It opened in New York in 1851.

5: Farmers Keep the Live Tree Industry Alive

In America, there’s a 77% chance your family chooses a real Christmas tree as opposed to an artificial one. While 2% of those people will trek into the wilderness to find their tree, the other 98% will look to Christmas tree farms and lots to fulfill their holiday needs!

4: Tree Topping Interpretations

The two most common types of tree toppers are stars and angels. The two both have biblical meanings behind them. The star is used to represent the Star of Bethlehem which led the three wise men to the child Jesus in the Bible. The angel is meant to represent Gabriel, the angel who tells the Virgin Mary of her pregnancy.

christmas trees

3: Not Quite a Tree-nager

Christmas trees take anywhere from 6-14 years to mature fully before being harvested; however, the average age of a Christmas tree is 7 years. That means very rarely does a Christmas tree from a farm make it into its teenage years.

2: An Edible Holiday Arrangement

Christmas trees were originally decorated with live fruits and nuts which would be consumed throughout the season. Lit candles were also a popular ornament. The string lights we use today are a much safer alternative to the open flames which were once so typical.

1: A Giving Tradition

Many trees featured in some of the largest tree lighting ceremonies are actually given as gifts! Some of the most popular gifted trees are: the Boston tree which is given as a gift from the province of Nova Scotia every year as a thank you to the people of Boston for their generosity in sending relief supplies after a disastrous shipwreck; the Rockefeller tree which is donated every year and, in turn, is donated again for lumber after the season’s end; and the White House tree which has been a yearly donation to the First Family from the National Christmas Tree Association since 1966.

Which of these tree facts surprised you the most? Let us know by leaving a comment below!